Viewed 13659 times
Also known as
Chinese barbeque sauce
Hoisin sauce, also called Chinese barbeque sauce is a fragrant, pungent sauce used frequently in Asian stir-fries and marinades. It has a very strong salty and slightly sweet flavor, which some may find objectionable. The ingredients in a typical bottle of hoisin sauce are soybean paste, garlic, vinegar and various spices such as chili peppers. The flavor this mixture yields is described as sweet, salty, and spicy. One version of a hoisin sauce recipe includes a combination of any type of soy sauce, peanut sauce, molasses, white vinegar, sesame oil and hot pepper sauce.
There are many variations in recipes for hoisin sauce, but all contain the same basic ingredients. Hoisin sauce can be made into a creamy version, or it can be made to be thick. The consistency depends on the particular recipe used. The color of hoisin sauce is dark brown, sometimes with a reddish tint.
How to select
The best tasting pre-made jars of hoisin sauce are typically made and packaged in China or Hong Kong. Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration or gas formation ( bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
· Hoisin sauce is soy-based sauce, regularly used in Chinese dishes, as well as stir-fry recipes.
· Because the flavor can be overpowering, particularly if you're new to Asian cuisine, it's recommended that you use only a bit at a time to experiment with the flavor. Or, dilute the flavor by adding water or oil to the paste before using in a recipe
· Hoisin sauces usually come as a thick paste, and are used either as a dipping sauce or in stir frying
· Marinating the chicken with hoisin sauce and then grilling on a barbeque is fantastic.
· Hoisin sauce is a common ingredient in preparation like Thai style stir fry, Chicken Hoisin, grilled tofu with hoisin sauce, sweet and sour tempeh, Chinese noodles, Chinese Fried rice, soups, stews,etc.
· Pour hoisin sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavour.
How to store
An unopened jar of hoisin sauce can be kept in a food storage cabinet for quite a while. Every jar should, however, contain a "best if used by" date stamp. An opened jar can remain good for an extended period of time if it is sealed and stored in a properly cooled refrigerator.
· The presence of pepper, tomato, oregano and onions in chilli sauce increases the anti oxidant quotient of the sauce
· Chilli sauce is low in fat content and is good source of Vit A, Vitamin C, iron and manganese.
· Chilli sauce is usually high in sodium content, so should be used sparingly in specific recipes.