Viewed 8570 times
Also Known as
Green chick peas
Fresh green chickpeas are the winter food that tastes super good. Popular seasonal treat of India, fresh ones are a true delight. Their sweet nutty flavor makes them a great snack. They are roundish, beige to light green in colour. They look, feel and taste like a fresh vegetable.
Boiled hara chana
To boil them, first wash them thoroughly in cold water until water runs clear; then in a large pot, place soaked hara chana and cover completely with water. Add salt to taste. Cook it with a lid on it. Remove from heat and drain it. Also, it can be cooked in a pressure cooker. The cooking time and method depends upon one's choice. Boiled hara chana can be enjoyed on their own, hot, warm or cold - in chats or just butter and minimal spices.
Soaked hara chana
Soak a cup of dried green channa overnight or any seed of your choice and make delightful dishes like Green Chana Masala or just steam it up with butter and spice it with boiled veggies and sauce of your choice.
How to Select
Sprouted hara chana
Soak the hara chana in a flat-bottom container, in shallow water. Then take flat-bottom bowl or saucer, line bottom with wet 100% cotton washcloth, spread it on wet cloth. Then take 2nd wet cloth and put on top of hara chana, or, if bottom washcloth is big enough, fold over wet seeds. Can add additional water to washcloths 12 hours later by sprinkling or if very dry, remove seed from cloth, rinse, re-wet cloth, and put seed back between wet cloths. Cloths used should be 100% cotton (terrycloth) or linen, used exclusively for sprouting, and of light colors. Cheap cotton washcloths (and cheap plastic bowls) work well and will last a long time.
Look for green, shiny and pliable pods; beans should fill pods well. Avoid pods with signs of drying. When buying shelled beans, choose plump beans with green to greenish-white skins. Avoid the ones with brown blemishes or shriveled skins.Culinary Uses
· Tingle the taste bud like none other with this striking combination of hara chana and veggies and fruits.
· Hara Chana is best eaten raw or roasted.
· For starters, you can take one out of the plastic tub and pop one in your mouth.
· Sauté some in olive oil, which softened them, put sea salt on them, and enjoy the taste.
· These are very when tossed into stir-fries, sautés, and salads.
· Combined with corn and sometimes green or red bell pepper.How to Store
Refrigerate them in a perforated plastic bag for up to three days. Store shelled beans, tightly wrapped in plastic, in the refrigerator for up to three days. Health Benefits
· The green chick peas have a wealth of nutrients like energy, protein, calcium and iron