Viewed 16035 times
Gulkand is one of the most delicious Ayurvedic preparations known to mankind. Gulkand is a sweet preserve of rose petals and is made primarily of rose petals, which are collected at their peak. Place the rose petals and sugar in layers in a wide-mouthed airtight glass jar. Place this jar in sunlight for 6 hours per day for around 3 to 4 weeks. On alternate days, the contents of the jar should be stirred with a wooden stick. The jar should be kept indoors once done. Other ingredients, such as silver foil, Praval Pishti, cardamom seeds, or Muktapishti (powdered pearl) can be added to increase the cooling properties of the gulkand. Ayurveda assigns cooling properties to gulkand and it's consumption during the hot season is believed to be beneficial.
How to select
The rose petals should be firm, bright red in colour and free from any blemishes or dark spots. Packaged gulkand may also be bought from the market but you would need to check the 'best before date.
· Gulkand is commonly used as an ingredient of Paan, a popular dessert and digestive of Pakistan and North India
· Gulkand peda is a popular and refreshing sweet dish in India
· You may have gulkand on its own by the spoonfuls or in recipes calling for its unique taste and flavour.
· Gulkand may be used to make rose flavored teas and drinks.
How to store
Store gulkand in an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator. It can be used for months when refrigerated.
· Gulkand is an Ayurvedic tonic.
· The health benefits of gulkand includes reduction of pitta and heat in the body, a reduction in eye inflammation and redness, strengthening of the teeth and gums, and the treatment of acidity.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.