Viewed 8255 times
Also Known As
Grapes are small berries with a peppy flavour! They are oval-shaped or round, with a smooth skin and translucent flesh. The surface seems to have a powdery, white protective coating. There are three common varieties of grapes: table grapes, wine grapes and raisin/ dry grapes. They come in varied colours like green, red, bluish black and purple. In general, grapes have a slightly crunchy texture and a dry, sweet and tart taste. When grapes are dried, they are processed into raisins, currants or sultanas.
In order to chop grapes, place them on a chopping board and cut each grape into halves. Now make vertical slits on each halve, arrange the strips together and make horizontal slits to get chopped grapes. The slits can be made finely or thickly to get finely chopped/ roughly chopped grapes as per requirements. Chopped grapes are usually used as toppings on fruit tarts or as an edible garnish on desserts.
In order to slice grapes, place them on a chopping board and cut each grape into half. Now make vertical slits on each half to get sliced grapes. Make the slits as required to get finely sliced or roughly sliced grapes. Sliced grapes are used mainly as toppings on desserts.
How to select
• Select grapes that are intact and firmly attached to a healthy looking stem. It should be without wrinkles and blemishes, cuts and leaking juices.
• Select from various varieties available as per recipe requirements.
• Because of their exciting flavour and crunch, grapes are a much-loved snack.
• They are used whole or chopped in fruit and vegetable salads. Combine with dressings of your choice to enhance the flavour. An acidulated cream dressing goes very well with a grape salad.
• Grapes are widely used in the production of wine. Exotic varieties of grapes are used to make special wines like white wines, red wines, rose wines, etc.
• Grapes are a classic addition to cheesy snack platters that include an assortment of cheese, crackers and fruits.
How to store
• Always wash under cold running water before consumption or use in recipes.
• Before storing, pat dry or drain off excess water in a colander.
• If you are not consuming the whole bunch at once, remove from the stem and store in the refrigerator.
• The high vitamin and mineral content makes grapes a great supplement to a healthy diet.
• Grapes are a good source of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C.
• It is a quick source of energy·
• Grapes are easily digested and thus can be used to combat constipation.
• They contain flavonoids, which are antioxidant compounds.
• Grapes also reduce the level of bad cholesterol in the body, lower blood pressure, prevent oxidative damage to the arteries, and thereby benefit the heart.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.