fresh green garlic
Viewed 19608 times
Green garlic is young garlic which is harvested before the cloves have begun to mature. The resulting vegetable resembles a scallion, with a deep green stalk and a pale white bulb. Green garlic, on the other hand, is harvested before the plant is mature. The stalks are still totally green, usually around one foot (30 centimeters) long, and the bulb resembles that of a green onion, rather than a segmented head of garlic. The flavor of green garlic is still garlicky, but is much milder with less of a bitter bite. When cooked, the green garlic sweetens, lending a new layer of depth to a dish. The whole plant, including the leaves, can be used. It can be used raw or cooked in a broad assortment of cuisines.
Green garlic paste
Grind the chopped garlic in a grinder to get a garlic paste. You may add salt, green chillies and other spices to enhance the flavor.
Chopped green garlic
Chop the green garlic into small or slightly bigger pieces on a chopping board using a sharp knife.
How to select
Try to pick out sturdy crisp stalks which do not appear wilted, and you should also check for mold and mildew on the garlic. They may be marketed as baby garlic or spring garlic.
· Crunchy, with a mild garlic flavor, green garlic are great in salads and stir-frys.
· Green garlic can be ground into a paste with chilies and salt to impart a mild garlicky flavor to the dish.
· Green garlic risotto and pesto are quite popular.
How to store
The green garlic can be stored under refrigeration for three to five days before being used.
· Green Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol and thin the blood, which helps prevent stroke, high blood pressure and heart disease. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system.
· It blocks the growth of cancer cells; therefore, people who eat garlic tend to develop less stomach and colon cancers
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.