Viewed 9418 times
Dried mangoes are sun-dried, flat slices of mango. They are devoid of moisture. At times, they are rubbed with salt during the sun drying process. Dried mango can also be prepared at home following simple steps.
Slice the fresh mango and peel off the skin. Slice these pieces into thin strips and rub them in salt and turmeric. Dry them in sun for 5-6 days. Once they are devoid of moisture, fill them in air-tight jars.
How to select
Dried mango is available in market under various brand names. Select the sealed packets and check the expiry date.
· Dried mango is a ready to eat healthy snack for all age groups.
· Dried mango also tastes delicious when it is soaked in water , juices and yogurt.
· Dried mangoes are also added to curries , chutneys, compotes , cereals, muesli and cakes.
· Mango salsa is prepared by rehydrating dried mangoes and refrigerating them with chopped onions and tomatoes, lime juice and salt for 2 hours .It can be served with grilled chicken or pork.
· Dried mango pilaf is prepared by combining diced dried mango, rice, salt, broth, onion and water in a medium saucepan until the rice is cooked and toss them in frying pan with oil, basil, cumin and peppercorns.
· Use dried mango instead of tamarind or kokum as a sour agent in rasams, dals etc.
· Rehydrate diced dried mangoes. Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add eggs, sugar, chopped nuts, raisins, oil and mango , mix them well and bake it ungreased loaf pans at 350 degree for one hour. Mango bread can be served with any meal and even for breakfast with tea and coffee.
How to store
Dried mango should be stored away from moisture in air-tight containers. While handling it, ensure the hands or spoon are dry.
· Dried mango has high iron content, so pregnant women and people suffering from anemia are advised to consume it regularly.
· It combats acidity and improves digestion.
· Dried mango is rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E which helps hormonal system function efficiently.
· Selenium is also present in mangoes which provide protection against heart disease.