dried fenugreek leaves
Viewed 10336 times
Also Known as
Fenugreek is an ancient spice especially for pickles. Kasturi Methi is the dried leave of the fenugreek plant. The dried leaves are used as an herb. The taste is bitter but addictive. An added bonus is its healthful properties - today we do not use many bitter foods that help us in controlling our appetite and this is a tasteful way of adding the bitter taste to our diet. This herb is used as a spice in Indian curries and its strong aroma is the aroma that will titillate our taste buds.
How to Select
Choose from the brand available in the grocery store. Confirm on the packaging material used and the manufacturing as well as the expiry dates. Do not buy loose. Always buy in small packets to retain the maximum aroma.
Roasted and Crushed Dried Fenugreek Leaves
Just take the dried fenugreek leaves in the amount required and dry roast it on a non-stick pan, for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool slightly and and crush them with your fingers and use as per recipe requirements. This helps to release more flavour from dried fenugreek leaves.
· Kasuri Methi leaves are generally used as a condiment for flavoring and giving special delicious taste.
· Steaming is considered the best method of cooking leaves; in this the vitamins are retained and the vegetable become palatable.
· The dried leaves can be composed to pulses for their protein content.
· Kasuri Methi leaves is an important ingredient of curry powder and juicy and fry vegetables
· Cook with starchy or root vegetables like carrots, yams or potatoes.
· Add to chapatti dough to make Indian flat breads especially Methi Paratha - very popular at Indian restaurants
· Add 1 teaspoon of leaves to curries, as a spice, along with tomatoes.
· Popular in the handi cooking/curries of India.
. It can also be roasted and crushed or powdered and in used to make subzis.
How to Store
It is best kept in an air tight jar and refrigerated. It can stay upto 6 months as there is no moisture content. Keep away from moisture.
· Methi is supposed to be natural cure for arthritis.
· Methi, if consumed twice a day, cleans the intestines and directs the waste out of the body naturally.
It is an appetizer, relieves constipation, and reduces colic. It is also known to cure leprosy, vomiting, bronchitis, and piles