Also Known as
Dates are oval-cylindrical, 2.5-5 cm long, and 1.5-2.5 cm diameter. When dates are unripe, they come bright red to bright yellow in color, depending on the type of dates. Dates contain a single seed about 2-2.5 cm long and 5-7 mm thick
Soaked dried dates
Soaking will give best results as the dates are dried. Keep the dried dates in warm water for 15 mins. Drain them as they become soft. Dry the same in shelter. Further, enjoy on its own or can be used to make sauces, dessert, puree etc.
Deseeded and chopped Dried Dates
To deseed the dates slice it vertically using a sharp knife and remove the seed using a spoon or the pointed portion of the knife. Chop the same into large or small piece as required.
How to Select
Good dates are light brown and shiny, do not stick to one another and are not infested with mites
· Dry dates are eaten out-of-hand, or may be pitted and stuffed with fillings such as almonds, walnuts, candied orange and lemon peel, marzipan or cream cheese.
· Dates can also be chopped and used in a range of sweet and savoury dishes, puddings, bread, cakes and other dessert items.
· Dates are also processed into cubes, paste, spread, date syrup or "honey" called "dibs", powder (date sugar), vinegar or alcohol.
· Recent innovations include chocolate-covered dates and products such as sparkling date juice, used in some Islamic countries as a non-alcoholic version of champagne, for special occasions and religious times such as Ramadan
· KHAREK KA HALWA
· Masala Kharek
· Beside that, dates are easy to carry and no cooking is needed to prepare them for eating because dates are often eaten out-of-hand.
· Dates can also be used for cooking. They can be chopped and used in a range of sweet such as cakes and other dessert dishes and other savory dishes
How to Store
Dried dates should be firm, but not hard. Dried dates, on the other hand, keep for a long time, if stored in a cool, dry place. Most often, dried dates are packed in bags or boxes
· Date is a good source of carbohydrate, fiber, and potassium, also providing some calcium and iron along with other vitamins and minerals in smaller amounts.
· Dates do not have significant amounts of fat, cholesterol, protein, or sodium.
· Masala Kharek consisting of jeera powder and other ingredients helps in Digestion and keeps the body temperature cool.