Viewed 6321 times
The sweet version of the all-time favorite cocktail onion. Large, beautiful, with a firm texture that is sure to make your cocktail's sparkle! A cocktail onion is usually a pearl onion pickled in brine with small amounts of turmeric and paprika. Generally, the onion retains a slightly crunchy texture through the brining process, which adds a different mouth feel. Pearl onions are naturally sweet, which makes them an excellent pairing with many cocktails. In many cases, white varieties of these sweet onions are used, since many consumers expect cocktail onions to be white. However, yellow or red sweet onions may be used as well.
Once pickled in vinegar and spices they are eaten as an accompaniment and used in cocktails. It can also be made at home, by blanching and soaking in vinegar and spices to taste such as mustard seed, turmeric powder, juniper berries, peppercorns, allspice, rosemary, or chile peppers. Further heat the mixture and cool it and store in an airtight jar in the fridge.
How to Select
Cocktail onions are very small onions (about the size of a marble). You can buy them at the store. They come in a jar ready to use. Make sure you refrigerate after opening.
· A cocktail onion is a pickled garnish for cocktails such as martinis.
· Like these other garnishes, cocktail onions usually come in large containers which hold the onions along with their pickling medium, usually brine.
· Most typically, cocktail onions are brined, and they are sometimes seasoned with turmeric, paprika, or similar spices.
· In many cases, sugar is added to the brine to bring out the natural sweetness of the onions.
· The sweet, slightly salty brined onions pair well with tart drinks.
· Salty, savory, or straight drinks are also enhanced with the addition of a cocktail onion, which can be eaten after the drink is consumed or left behind, depending on personal taste.
How to Store
Store them in a cool, dry, dark place. Unopened jars can be kept up to a year when stored properly. Once opened, keep in the refrigerator and use within two months or expiry.