Hot sauce, chili sauce, or pepper sauce refers to any spicy sauce made from chili peppers and other ingredient. There are many recipes for chili sauces - the common ingredient being chili peppers. The peppers are infused in anything from vinegar, oil, and alcohol to fruits and vegetable pulp. Other ingredients, including fruits and vegetables such as raspberries, mangoes, carrots, and chayote squash are sometimes used to add flavor, mellow the heat of the chilis, and thicken the sauce's consistency. Chilli sauces tend to vary in heat by the ingredients in them.
These sauces include green and red jalapeño chilis, and chipotle. Green jalapeño and chipotle are usually the mildest sauces available. Red jalapeño sauce is generally hotter.
Sauces made with cayenne and/or other red chilis, including most of the Louisiana-style sauces, are usually hotter than jalapeño but milder than other sauces.
Sauces made with tabasco peppers these Tabasco sauces, are generally hotter than cayenne pepper sauces. Along with Tabasco, a number of "extra hot" sauces are made using a combination of tabasco and cayenne or other chili peppers.
Mild chili sauce
A very mild chili sauce is produced by Heinz and other manufacturers, and is frequently found in cookbooks in the U.S. This is chili sauce in name only, as it contains little or no chili pepper. The sauce is based on tomatoes, green and/or red bell peppers, and spices. This sauce is more akin to tomato ketchup and cocktail sauce than predominantly chili pepper based sauces.
Red chili sauce
A roux is made from lard and flour. The dried ground pods of native red chilies are added. Water is added and the sauce is thickened.
How to select
Select the sauce as per the hotness required n your recipes. Always check the expiry date and look out for any discoloration og gas formation ( bubbles) in the bottle, especially near the tip.
· Chinese chili sauces usually come as a thick paste, and are used either as a dipping sauce or in stir frying
· Marinating the chicken with chilli sauce and then grilling on a barbeque is fantastic.
· When handling fresh chillies be careful not to touch sensitive areas such as your eyes. It is recommended to rub a little olive or vegetable oil into your hands before you start to give a protective barrier to the chilli oil.
· Paprika, maple syrup, and Thai chillies are combined with Chinese seasonings to prepare Sweet and hot recipe that can be added to vegetables or chicken preparations.
· Chiili sauce is a common ingredient in preparation like Thai green and red curry, sweet and sour tempeh, Chinese noodles, Italian Pasta, Chinese Fried rice, etc.
· Pour chilli sauce over steamed vegetables for a beautiful combination of colour and flavour.
How to store
Keep the bottles in a dark cool cupboard for 3 months before using if you can. After opening the seal, keep sauce in the fridge and add a teaspoon to your next dish for a taste of the orient.
· The presence of pepper, tomato, oregano and onions in chilli sauce increases the anti oxidant quotient of the sauce
· Chilli sauce is low in fat content and is good source of Vit A, Vitamin C, iron and manganese.
· Chilli sauce is usually high in sodium content, so should be used sparingly in specific recipes.