Viewed 13060 times
Also known as
Cherry tomatoes are slightly smaller and sweeter than conventional tomatoes. They are a popular variety of tomato all over the world, and they can be found in a wide assortment of dishes. They are also remarkably easy to grow, and they mature quickly in temperate zones. Since cherry tomatoes can get costly at the grocery store, some consumers prefer to grow them at home, where they can flourish like weeds under the right conditions.
Many cherry tomatoes are about the size of a thumb tip, and sometimes somewhat larger. They are often about cherry sized, which is probably how the small tomatoes got their name. They are round to oblong, with colors which may range from green-streaked heirloom varieties to rich, glossy red. Despite being small in size, cherry tomatoes are packed with flavor, and they are often quite sweet to boot. Nature sweet vine ripened cherry tomatoes are a smaller variety of tomato and are approximately 20 grams in weight.
Cherry tomato halves
How to select
Good-quality cherry tomatoes will be firm, smooth-skinned and be at least pink in color. Tomatoes that are partially green will ripen if left at room temperature. Avoid product that is too soft, wrinkled or that has broken skin. Tomatoes with a green blush will ripen, but avoid product with blotchy green or brown areas.
· Cherry tomatoes may be used for a garnish on a hot or cold dish, in an entree or as a healthy snack on its own.
· Use in salads, with dip as an appetizer or as a garnish.
· They can be used like regular tomatoes in a number of recipes, although cooks should take the sweetness into account.
· They are excellent in salads and other appetizers, and can be used whole or cut in half.
· Some cooks enjoy roasting or grilling them, while others eat them raw as snack tomatoes.
· The sweetness of cherry tomatoes can complement a wide range of foods, and it intensifies with cooking.
· Drizzle your sliced tomatoes with a little extra-virgin olive oil and add a sprinkling of kosher salt and a freshly ground black pepper.
· Be sure to have plenty of good, crusty bread on hand to soak up the delicious juices that gather on the plate. And, finally, vary the color and variety of the tomatoes in each salad for a more visually striking and more delicious effect.
· Cherry Tomato Salad is a colorful and delicious salad served in a self made vinaigrette. Always an excellent choice when entertaining for dinner.
How to Store
Since tomatoes are sensitive to cold, and it will impede their ripening process, store them at room temperature and out of direct exposure to sunlight. They will keep for up to a week, depending upon how ripe they are when purchased. Store fresh ripe tomatoes in a cool, dark place, stem-side down, and use within a few days.
· Tomatoes are low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol.
· They're also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin,Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese.
· Cherry tomatoes have higher levels of flavonols than do their larger cousins.
· Packed with antioxidants including vitamins A for growth, healthy hair, skin, bones, teeth and eyes as well as resistance to respiratory infections.
· Vitamin C for anti-ageing, wound healing, decreasing blood cholesterol and prevention of infections. Assists the body in absorbing iron and Lycopene.
· High in vitamin C they stimulate the body's immune system.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.