Viewed 17102 times
Also Known as
Amaranth leaves, cow pea leaves, Chawli ka Patta, Chawli Bhaji.
Amaranth is a popular green leafy vegetable grown all over India. It is usually short-lived, with erect and often thick and fleshy stems and green leaves.
How to Select
Select bunches with crisp, green leaves that do not contain any markings or browning, which may be an indication of worm damage. Avoid limp bunches and yellowing leaves.
· Chawli leaves vegetable is a perfect combination with Bajra roti.
· These leaves make up a good salad and are a wonderful addition to kadhi and Parathas.
· Choose methods of cooking that will retain flavor, color, and nutrients. Instead of boiling, steam them. Avoid cooking at very high temperatures and long cooking times as it may turn green colour into dark green or black, hence would be unacceptable.
How to Store
Excess dirt should be removed and leaves should be trimmed and stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 3 days.
· Regular use of amaranth in our food prevents the deficiency of vitamins A, B1, B2 and C, Iron and Potassium.
· It protects against defective vision and respiratory infections. Fresh juice with honey is remedy for Chronic Bronchitis, Asthma.
· Regular intake during Pregnancy and Lactation is highly beneficial. It helps with the normal growth of the baby, prevents the loss of calcium and iron from body, and eases delivery and best food to increase the flow of the breast milk.
· Fresh juice with honey given to children will keep them healthy and strong.
· It's a natural tonic in conditions like bleeding from gums, nose, lungs, piles and excessive menstruation.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.