Viewed 7111 times
Also known As
Lobhia Rongi, Allasandalu, Sukha Choda,Cow Pea.
Chawli Dal is a cremish colored lentil with a prominent black mark in its inner curve. They may be cooked as dal or just boiled to a thick consistency and mixed with diced tomatoes, onions and salt for a snack. This is due to its taste even without addition of any spices. It needs to be soaked for 4-5 hours and then pressure cooked. It turns brown on cooking.
How To Select
Chawli Dal is available in almost all grain and grocery stores, even in food malls. It is available in packaging of different sizes. When purchasing, choose the shiny ones. The dal selected should be whole , without any holes seen, which might be due to any insect infestation. It is also available in canned and frozen forms.
· Chawli dal is a common lentil specially in Indian cookery.
· A simple traditional dinner would be Bhakri with Chawli and Kadhi .
· Maharashtrians generally prepare Chawli Amti ,using chawli dal instead of the regular tur or masoor dal.
· Chawli can be prepared into Sprouts to increase its nutritive value and can be used in sandwiches, salads and eaten raw.
· Black Eyed Bean Dip can be used as an accompaniment instead of chutneys.
· A great variety of recipes can be prepared using it either as a main or a side dish.
For eg ;
· Chawli Methi Dhokla,
· Chawli Bhaji , which can be prepred in gravy
· Chawli ki Dal dhokli ,
· Chawli Sandwiches,
· Black Eye Bean Rice or Lobiya Polo,
· Chawli Palak Saag,
· Brinjal with black eyed beans
· Lobia and Sarson with Rice
How To Store
This lentil needs to be stored in a air tight container, preferably a glass one. See to it that you lid it tightly after every use and store in dry place, to avoid hydration , which might lead to insect or small worm infestation. Chawli remains good for atleast 4-5 months. Since it is not a daily cooked food, donot purchase in bulk.
l Chawli is good in proteins , calcium, folate.
l It also consists of Vitamin A to a certain extent.
l Presence of Dietary fiber helps reduce cholesterol and aids in intestinal mobility.
l Chawli Sprouts helps to reduce the acid-alkaline imbalance which might occur when grains, legumes, and other proteins are over loaded in the system.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.