Viewed 28593 times
Chaat masala is a mix of hot and tangy spices. ‘Chaat' means 'to lick' and 'masala' means spice in Hindi. So, generally the word chaat is used for a collection of spicy and savoury snacks that are lip-smacking, so to speak.
The abundance of asafoetida, mango powder and black salt distinguish chaat masala from other masalas, giving the blend a sourness that makes it a welcome accompaniment to fresh fruit and other snacks.
How to Select
• You can make this masala at home and store it in a jar.
• It is also available readymade, in sachets and bottles, and is generally quite good.
• Check the ingredients to make sure it does not contain any unwanted additives.
• Rarely, some brands of chaat masala include garlic, so if you do not wish to include garlic check for that too in the ingredients list.
• Also, ensure the package is tightly sealed and well within the use-by date.
• Chaat masala is a mix of hot and tangy spices, which is used to spice up many snacks, salads, fruit salads, fruit juices, and some curries.
• Just sprinkle 1-2 tsp. on your fruit/vegetable salad, squeeze a little lemon juice/good vinegar like balsamic vinegar, mix thoroughly and enjoy!
• Add it to fried nuts, yoghurt and yoghurt dishes.
• You can use it in all sorts of Indian chaat recipes.
• Impart a tangy taste to your pakodas – potato, banana or onion, by just sprinkling a little chaat masala on it.
• A pinch of chaat masala imparts a delicious taste to buttermilk.
• Sprinkle it on your bread-butter slice, dosa or corn/sprouts bhel for a tangy taste.
How to Store
• Store it in an airtight jar in a cool and dry place away from moisture.
• It will keep well for months, even a year.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.