Also Known As
Cashew crushed paste, kaju butter, Cashew spread
A vegan favourite, cashew butter is a smooth, creamy paste made by crushing cashewnuts. It is thick, off white in colour with a pale brown tinge. After several rounds of being processed in the blender, cashew nuts go from being course meal, to a paste, to finally showing oil and creaming around the edges and the final smooth paste that makes it rich with a tremendous nutty, buttery flavour. Raw or roasted can be used depending on the flavour you prefer. Easy to make at home. The only thing that really helps you make best quality cashew butter is a powerful blender. Otherwise a rest time needs to be given before every round, for the motor to cool before re-starting.
How To Select
• Cashew Butter is generally packaged in jars of different sizes.
• As with all edible items, the manufacturing and best by dates are very important.
• Cashew butter is a good alternative to peanut or almond butter.
• The thick creamy nature of cashews, make this butter a key ingredients in soups, sauces and dips that require a cashew flavour.
• It can also be used as a spread on crackers, fresh fruit or in salads as a dressing.
• When making rich curries such as cashew butter chicken, this paste can be used generously for depth in flavour and taste.
• Frosting on cakes, pies, cupcakes or cookies, with cashew butter gives it an exotic flavour.
How To Store
• Butters made from nuts must be stored under optimum conditions or they might go rancid.
• While cashew butter would last a few months when refrigerated, the oil tends to separate. A quick mix and it should be fine.
• If you're making nut butter at home, store the dried nuts in the fridge as they last longer and stay crisper.
• Due to its high calcium levels, it promotes strong bones specially in growing children and menopausal women.
• High in protein, micronutrients and unsaturated fats, while being low in saturated fats, cashew butter is also considered to be energy dense and known for iron, all the "B" vitamins and zinc.