canned red pumpkin
Viewed 2556 times
Canned red pumpkin refers to the product prepared from the sound, fresh red pumpkin by proper peeling, cleaning, cutting, washing, and sorting and is packed with the addition of water in hermetically sealed containers and sufficiently processed by heat to assure preservation of the product. Salt, or monosodium glutamate, or both may be added in a quantity sufficient to season the product. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) may also be added to improve the shelf life of the product. Canned pumpkin is often used in many preparations and since they are already cooked, the whole cooking time is reduced and so it is a very time saving ingredient used these days.
How to Select
While selecting the canned pumpkin packs, look carefully at the nutritional labeling and the expiry date. Avoid selecting the cans which are bulging or dented (may cause food poisoning) or if can appears to be rusted or leaking.
• Canned red pumpkin is used to make delicious desserts like very famous pumpkin pies, cupcakes, breads, muffins etc.
• They are also used to prepare variety of starters and main course dishes.
How to Store
Like most canned goods, canned pumpkin products have a long shelf life. As long as they are unopened, they will keep in the pantry for up to a year. Once a can is opened, however, the contents should be refrigerated for no more than one week. You can freeze leftover pumpkin puree in an ice-cube tray. Once frozen, pop the cubes into a resealable plastic bag; they'll keep up to six months.
• Pumpkin is really low in calorie. The perfect vegetable for persons who watch their weight.
• It is very rich in potassium and its intakes in magnesium and iron are not to be neglected.
• Its benefits include regulating cholesterol levels and aiding in the prevention and treatment of bladder and prostate problems.
• It's not just for pie: pumpkin is one of the best sources of carotenoids, antioxidants that reduce the risk of cancer.
• Pumpkin is also one of the highest sources of alpha-carotene, a powerful member of the carotenoid family that's inversely related to cataract formation and boosts immunity.
• However one should be careful with the salt content of canned pumpkin products also check for any ingredient you are allergic from.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.