Viewed 3345 times
Canned mushrooms refers to the product prepared from the sound, succulent, fresh mushroom by proper trimming, washing, and sorting and is packed with the addition of water in hermetically sealed containers and sufficiently processed by heat to assure preservation of the product. Salt, or monosodium glutamate, or both may be added in a quantity sufficient to season the product. Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) may also be added to improve the shelf life.
Whole is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of the caps with attached stems which are more than 1/8 inch in length when measured from the under side of the cap to the cut end of the stem.
Buttons is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of the caps with attached stems, which are cut transversely below the veil.
Sliced whole is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of units, which have been sliced from whole mushrooms, and has also stems.
Random sliced whole is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of units which have been sliced from whole mushrooms in a random manner so that the direction of the slice may materially deviate from approximately parallel to the longitudinal axis of the stem.
Sliced buttons is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of units, which have been sliced from button mushrooms.
Stems and pieces is the style of canned mushrooms that consists of units, which do not conform to any of the foregoing styles and are predominantly cut or broken portions of the caps and stems.
How to select
While selecting the canned soup, look carefully at the nutritional labeling and the expiry date. Avoid selecting the cans which are bulging or dented (may cause food poisoning) or if the can appears to be rusted or leaking.
· Mushroom is used as in ingredient in a number of dishes such as curries, sandwich, soup etc.
· The canned mushrooms can be added to salads, rice preparations and as a delectable topping on pizzas.
· The canned mushrooms can be used for various Indian recipes like mushroom matar(with peas), tandoori mushroom(grilled mushrooms) or even mushroom biryani.
How to store
Canned cream of mushroom soup should be placed in a cool and dry cupboard. When opened they must be refrigerated in a plastic, glass or ceramic container.
· Mushrooms are legendary in providing a wealth of nutrients ranging from protein, fiber, B vitamins, and vitamin C, to calcium and other minerals.
· The mushrooms have been shown to boost heart health; lower the risk of cancer,; promote immune function; ward off viruses, bacteria, and fungi; reduce inflammation; combat allergies; help balance blood sugar levels; and support the body's detoxification mechanisms.