brown basmati rice
Viewed 10037 times
Also Known As
Brown Basmati Rice
Literally spelt as "The fragrant one" in Sanskrit. Brown basmati rice is often cultivated in India and Pakistan. Rice of this type is fragrant long grain rice that has a distinctive and appealing flavor different from other varieties of rice.
It has various attributes which distinguish it from other varieties of rice. In addition to being fragrant, it has a stronger flavour as compared to other basmati varieties. The grains are longer than other types of long grained rice. Even though the rice takes a longer time to cook, it doesn't stick together while or after cooking.
How to select
Brown Basmati rice is readily available in most stores, and like many other kinds of rice should be used within six months of purchase. Buy rice in the packaged grains section of grocery and specialty stores. Look for intact kernels that aren't broken, scratched, or damaged.
· Brown basmati rice is used in a wide range of Indian and Middle Eastern dishes. The rice works especially well when flavored with a small amount of saffron and cardamom. Since it is fragrant too, it can be best served plain or cooked along with vegetables of your choice like green peas, carrots etc to make pulaos and served with raita etc.
· For more elaborate preparations, combine with saffron, meat/ vegetables and other spices to make aromatic biryani.
· Since this rice has a tendency to "not stick" on cooking, you can use it in stir fried rice preparations.
· You can serve it plain, steamed along with dals or curry of your choice.
· Use it as a healthy alternative to white rice to make delicacies like bisi bele bhaat, lemon rice, coconut rice etc.
How to store
It is best stored for up to 6 months under normal conditions. Store in air- tight containers in a cool dry place away from moisture and humidity.
· Even though rice contains starch, the glycemic index in brown basmati rice is much lower than that of other varieties of brown rice or white rice. Thus it is a better alternative for people who need to watch their blood glucose levels.
· It has more fiber, provides protein and carbohydrates as well as B-vitamins which aid in digestion.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.