Also known as
Cracked wheat, Dalia, Bulgar, Burghul, Fada, Lapsi, Bulgar Wheat.
Broken wheat is a wheat product made from whole raw wheat kernels which are crushed or cut into smaller pieces. There are a large number of uses for cracked wheat, and the food makes a popular dietary supplement in many cultures. It is made by milling wheat grains coarsely. Wheat is cleaned and husked and then processed to the required size. It is highly nutritious as it does not undergo refining.
A similar product, bulgur wheat, is also made by cracking wheat kernels. Bulgur, however, is made from wheat kernels which are steamed and toasted before cracking, so that they develop a rich, nutty flavor. Bulgur also requires minimal cooking, since it is already partially cooked. Cracked wheat, on the other hand, uses whole raw wheat grains. When the broken wheat is cooked, it has a very hearty, warm aroma and a grainy, delightful taste. It is slightly nutty and chewy. Broken wheat may be ground into coarse, medium and fine kernels.
Large sized broken wheat
Big whole wheat kernels that have a firm texture and large sized grains. Good as cereal or in casseroles, salads and stuffing. Toast them to boost the flavour and shorten the cooking time.
Medium sized variety
Medium sized whole wheat kernels that are usually used for salty preparations like upma or namkeen dalia.
Fine sized broken wheat
Small, crushed whole wheat kernels that have a firm and fine texture. These are usually used to prepare broken wheat kheer or sweet lapsi with milk.
How to select
Read the labels and the expiry date well before buying. The broken wheat should be clean, evenly sized and without any foreign particles like dust or stones.
· It is often used to make soups and to stuff vegetables.
· Many people use it as a base, like couscous, serving vegetables or meats alongside it. It can also be used in grain pilaffs, multi grain breads, pancakes.
· In Middle Eastern cuisine, Tabbouleh salad made of broken wheat is very famous, as is "Lapsi", or dalia ,a sweet dish made in India.
· Broken wheat upma is yet another popular breakfast or snack item in India. The preparation is salty and is made similar to rawa upma with vegetables.
· Broken wheat kheer and a South Indian preparation where lentils are added to it along with veggies and peanuts is very popular.
How to store:
Broken wheat should be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place.
· Because broken wheat is made from whole wheat berries, it carries a great deal of nutrition and fiber since it includes the fiber and nutrient rich outer bran and germ of the wheat. For this reason, it is often added to healthy diets, especially those eaten by people who are concerned about heart health
· It is also a good source of iron, magnesium and phosphorus.
· Broken wheat is more nutritious than rice, because it contains more fiber, more vitamins and minerals, and has a better glycemic index than white rice or refined flour.