Viewed 1535 times
Banana essence is a highly concentrated flavour extracted from bananas onto an alcohol base or synthesised artificially using chemical compounds. Artificial essence is simply chemical mixtures that mimic a natural flavor in some way. Anything that we smell has to contain some sort of volatile chemical -- a chemical that evaporates and enters a person's nose. Banana essence has just one or a few dominant chemical components (usually esters) that carry the bulk of the taste/smell signal.
The ester called isoamyl acetate (CH3COOC5H11) is a fundamental component of banana essence. If you add these esters to a product, the product will taste, to some degree, like banana. To make more realistic flavors you add other chemicals in the correct proportions to get closer and closer to the real thing. You can do that by trial and error or by chemical analysis of the real thing.Banana essence is an easy way to add strong banana flavour to baking products, sauces, ice cream, and beverages.
How to select
The essence should be food grade and lie in adherence to the international standards for food. Check the expiry date before buying.
· Banana essence is used to predominantly flavour baked goods , beverages and ice creams
· This wonderful flavour compounds is useful anywhere you need a bit of banana flavour. They produce a distinct flavour in desserts and sauces.
· Use pure banana essence to flavor marinades, puddings, pies, chutney, syrup and chocolate sauce.
· For a great depth of flavour, try layering a dish with both fresh ingredients along with an essence or flavour, such as freshly cut pieces of banana along with banana essence in a banana cake or pudding.
How to store
The banana essence is usually stored in dark coloured bottles, kept away from heat or direct sunlight. They can also be refrigerated.
· Since banana essence is usually synthetic and produced to add banana flavours artificially, they do not contain any substantial health benefits.