Viewed 6166 times
Also Known as
Alfa Alfa, alfa-alfa sprout
Alfalfa lives from three to twelve years, depending on variety and climate. It is a cool season perennial legume, sometimes growing to a height of 1 meter. It resembles clover with clusters of small purple flowers. It also has a deep root system sometimes stretching to 4.5 metres. Alfalfa is nutritionally one of the most versatile herbs yet discovered. The seeds of alfalfa, known as "Kings of Sprouts" are of immense value. It builds up for a healthy and vigorous old age and resistance to infection. Alfalfa contains chlorophyll, protein, minerals, and beta-carotene, B vitamins, and vitamins C, E, and K.It is also available in capsule, powder, tablet, and liquid extract forms. Many of these supplements are made from dried alfalfa leaves or seeds.
How to Select
Always select a crisp green sprout from the alfalfa seed. The sprouts should be of uniform size. Check if any rotten.
· The seeds are used in the form of sprouts. They are delicious and nourishing in salads and soups. They are excellent to add texture and crunch to coleslaw. Sprouts are a nice garnish for cream soups.
· The juice extracted of the alfalfa leaves or seeds can be used in the form of tea. The tea can be made by boiling alfalfa seeds in an enamel pan with the lid on, for half an hour. It is strained and squeezed. Allow it to cool. Further add cool or hot water and sip it with a teaspoon of honey.
· Alfalfa powder can be taken blended into vegetable juices or in vegetarian dishes. Add 1 tablespoon of alfalfa powder to the choice of your juice and stir vigorously or use blender. Tomato or carrot juice and Lettuce is suggested. You may also add this to fruit smoothie blender drinks to increase the nutritional content.
· You can add sprouted Alfalfa seeds to tacos, use them on top of spaghetti, munch them alongside pizza--they work with almost any meal.
How to Store
Before you use any sprouts, be sure to rinse the batch each time. Sprouts will keep in the refrigerator, but it is better to have small batches going constantly to ensure a fresh, sweet supply.
· Alfalfa is suggested for treating anemia, diabetes, to extend appetite and contribute towards weight gain, as a diuretic for increased urination, for indigestion and bladder disorders.
· The fresh juice is found very effective in most heart disease. Hence, can be taken alone or in combination.
· It is a good digestive aid, helps body fight infection.