by Tarla Dalal
This recipe has been viewed 2249 times
After having seen Mughlai food it is evident that saffron or kesari is a much-loved ingredient that can be used in a number of dishes. Zaffrani chawal or saffron rice is simply rice prepared with saffron flavoring. Paneer, Cashewnuts and raisins make this preparation a rich delicacy that is easy to prepare and that can be cooked up in a jiffy.
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for about 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the saffron with 2 tsp of warm water in a bowl and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai, add the cashewnuts and deep-fry till they are golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- In the same oil deep-fry the paneer pieces till golden brown. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the bayleaf, cardamoms and cinnamon.
- When the spices crackle, add the rice and mix well.
- Add 2½ cups of hot water and salt and bring to boil.
- Add the raisins and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook on a low flame till the rice is nearly cooked.
- Add the paneer and mix well.
- When the rice is completely cooked, add the saffron mixture and lightly toss the rice so that some rice is left white.
- Serve hot garnished with cashewnuts.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.