Veggie Burger ( Burgers and Smoothies Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 70 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 109762 times
The veggie burger is one of the most common burgers around, but let me tell you upfront that this recipe is not a run-of-the-mill one! it is a wonderful indo-western combo, as the tikki imbibes true indian spices while the spread uses chilli sauce and oregano to perk up the mayonnaise. Also, unlike the common burgers in which the vegetables are boiled, here we use raw vegetables sautéed to perfection. The complementary colours of the capsicum and potatoes in the salad ensure that it looks very tempting too!
Add your private note
Preparation Time:    Cooking Time:
Makes 4 burgers
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add all the vegetables and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the vegetables are cooked, while stirring occasionally. Sprinkle a little water to avoid the vegetables from burning.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the plain flour, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the coriander and mix well.
- While the mixture is yet hot, mash it using a potato masher to a coarse mixture. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Divide it into 4 equal portions and shape each portion into a circle of 75 mm. (3”) diameter and 1 cm thickness.
- Dip each cutlet in the maida mixture and roll in the bread crumbs till it is evenly coated from all the sides.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry each cutlet till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Divide the spread into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a broad non-stick pan, add the coloured capsicum and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Add 1 portion of the chilli mayo spread and mix well.
- Divide the salad into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
- Cut each burger bun horizontally into two. Apply ½ tsp of butter on the insides of each half of the burger bun and toast them lightly on a tava (griddle). Keep aside.
- Apply ¾ tbsp of the chilli mayo spread on each buttered side of the bun half.
- Place the lower half of a bun on a clean, dry surface with the buttered–spread side facing up.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf, a cutlet and a cheese slice over it.
- Spread 1 portion of the salad on it and cover with an upper half of the bun with the buttered–spread side facing down and press it lightly.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more burgers.
- Serve immediately with french fries.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.