Vegetable and Bean Soup
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 110 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20996 times
An appetising combination of fresh veggies and protein-rich beans cooked in olive oil, which contains a blood cholesterol-lowering substance called 'squalene'. Antioxidants like 'quercetin' and 'selenium' found in onions protect the heart from free radical damage.
- Combine 1 cup of tomatoes, ½ cup of onions, potatoes, 3 cups of water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the remaining onions and sauté on a medium flame till they turn translucent.
- Add the cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for another minute.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of tomatoes, rajma, barley, salt and pepper powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato-onion mixture, mix well and bring to boil.
- Serve hot garnished with roasted wheat bran.
- Wheat bran is the rough outer covering of the wheat kernel, also called "konda". Its high fibre content helps to get rid of bad cholesterol (ldl) from the body.
- Bran is the rough outer covering of the wheat kernel, also called "konda".
- Its high fibre content helps to get rid of bad cholesterol (LDL) from the body.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 96 calories|
|Protein|| 2.8 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 14.6 gm|
|Fat|| 2.9 gm|
|Cholesterol|| 0 mg|
|Fibre|| 1.3 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.