by Tarla Dalal
Added to 87 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6329 times
An ideal Sunday evening meal. Serve with curds.
- Deep fry the sliced onions in oil until golden brown and crisp.
- Grate the coconut, add 5 teacups of water and allow to stand for a little while. Blend in a liquidiser and strain.
- Make a cross of 2 slits at right angles on the potatotes and small onions.
- Stuff the slits on the potatotes and onions with the masala mixture. About half the masala will remain.
- Heat the oil in a vessel, add the crushed garlic and fry for a little time.
- Add the rice, dal, coconut milk, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cover and cook slowly. When three-fourths done, add the remaining masala mixture and cook for a few minutes.
- Altenatively, add the masal, cover with a lid and bake in a hot oven at 450°F for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fried onions and serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.