Vegetable Biryani ( Desi Khana)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1722 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 948816 times
Vegetable biryani is a traditional mughlai main course item loaded with chopped vegetables, spices, saffron and dry fruits. On normal days, you can make it as a one-pot meal. Even as ingredients like capsicum and coriander spread their aroma, whiffs of saffron and other spices rise above all and pamper your senses.
- Combine 4½ cups of water, bayleaf, cinnamon, clove, cardamom, rice and salt in a deep non-stick pan, cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the rice is cooked.
- Strain the rice using a strainer and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the ginger-green chilli paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, paneer, salt and milk and cook on a medium flame for another 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Combine the curds, coriander and saffron colour in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the prepared rice mixture and mix well.
- Transfer ½ of the rice mixture in a handi and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Add all the prepared vegetable gravy on it and spread it evenly.
- Top it with the remaining ½ of the rice mixture and spread it evenly.
- Pour the ghee evenly over it and cover it with a lid.
- Place the handi on a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook on a slow flame for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Just before serving, turn upside down on a serving plate, garnish with fried onions, cashewnuts and raisins and serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.