Veg Frankie ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 256 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 922223 times
Veg frankie, a popular and cheap version of the hi-fi wraps and rolls! the maida roti is pre-cooked and kept ready. This is then stuffed with fillings ranging from a basic potatoes and onions mixture, to more innovative chinese, jain versions etc. The tangy taste of chillies in vinegar and chaat masala is very enjoyable! one of the most interesting and practical snacks to devour on the go!
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft and pliable dough using enough water. Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead again using ¼ tsp of oil till it is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll out each into approx. 200 mm. (8") diameter thin circle.
- Heat a tava (griddle) and cook each roti lightly on a medium flame and keep aside.
- Heat the oil/butter in a kadhai, add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, chilli powder, garam masala, chaat masala, coriander and salt, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for another minute. Keep aside.
- Heat ½ tsp butter on a tava (griddle), place ¼ th of the stuffing and cook on a medium flame till both sides turn light brown in colour. Keep aside.
- Place a roti on the tava (griddle) and cook on a medium flame using ½ tsp butter till both sides turn light brown in colour.
- Place the stuffing on one end of the roti, spread it lightly and remove from the tava.
- Place it on a clean, dry surface and top with ¼ cup of onions, sprinkle 1½ tsp of masala water and ½ tsp of chaat masala evenly over it and roll it up tightly.
- Fold the edges at one end and wrap in an aluminium foil/tissue paper and serve immediately with tomato sauce.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more frankies.
- Cheese frankie: sprinkle 1/3 cup of grated cooking cheese over the stuffing (at step no. 4 in the above recipe) and proceed as per the recipe.
- Schezuan frankie: simply smear 1½ tbsp of schezuan sauce, page… evenly on the roti (at step no. 3) and proceed as per the recipe.
- Paneer frankie: for the stuffing, replace ¾ cup of potatoes with ¾ cup of chopped paneer and proceed as per the recipe.
- Jain frankie: replace potatoes with equal quantities of raw banana for the stuffing and replace onions with equal quantities of cabbage in the recipe given above. You can add grated cheese over the stuffing to make it more flavourful.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.