Vaal ki Usal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 338 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 36204 times
A popular, easy to make Maharashtrian dish. The combination of jaggery and kokum gives a sweet and tangy taste to the usal. Vaal provides you the much needed protein, calcium and folic acid. Serve this usal with hot Palak aur Chawal ki Roti, page...
- Soak the kokums in 2 tablespoons of water and leave aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Purée the soaked kokums in a blender to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida, curry leaves and ginger and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the vaal and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, kokum paste, jaggery, chilli powder, coriander and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Amt||Energy||Protein||Cho||Fat||Vit A||Vit C||Calcium||Iron||F. Acid||Fibre|
|82 gm||187 kcal||10.6 gm||32.5 gm||1.6 gm||218.8 mcg||7.7 mg||48.9 mg||1.5 mg||2.0 mcg||0.8 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.