Urad Dal with Spinach, Healthy Urad Dal with Spinach
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26564 times
Urad Dal with Spinach is a sumptuous accompaniment to Indian breads with the distinct flavour of caraway seeds. Teamed up with onions, tomatoes and green chillies for volume and flavour, this unusual mix of urad dal and spinach carries a healthy dose of B-complex vitamins.
For a truly fulfilling experience, relish this dal with hot Parathas .
- Combine the urad dal with approx. 1 cup of water, salt and turmeric powder in a deep non-stick kadhai, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 10 to 12 minutes, till the dal is cooked and soft. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the caraway seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green chillies, chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the spinach, 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute , while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked urad dal and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 182 kcal|
|Protein|| 10.1 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 25.2 gm|
|Fat|| 4.6 gm|
|Vitamin B1|| 0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2|| 0.2 mg|
|Fibre|| 5.7 gm|
|Folic Acid|| 98.0 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.