Turai Onion Vegetable
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 141 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 29235 times
Turai, a vegetable that is low in calories and carbohydrate, is combined with onion and flavoured with ginger and garlic to make a simple dish ideal for those of us who like simple flavours. Though the recipe says to use peeled turai feel free to use them unpeeled to take advantage of the fibre content present in the peel. Serve this dish with hot phulkas and a salad.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic, green chilli and turai, mix well and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the moong dal, turmeric powder, salt and approx. ½ cup of water, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the turai and dal are soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well and cook on a slow flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the tomatoes are soft enough, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with the coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 106 kcal|
|Protein|| 5.4 gm|
|Carbohydrates|| 16.1 gm|
|Fat|| 2.2 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 178.9 mcg|
|Vitamin C|| 14.6 mg|
|Calcium|| 48.6 mg|
|Iron|| 1.3 mg|
|Folic acid|| 39.2 mcg|
|Fibre|| 2.2 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.