Trevti Dal ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 220 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34758 times
As the ‘trevti’ in the title suggests, this is a combination of three dals simmered with spices. The use of three dals imparts a special feel to this otherwise simple day-to-day dal, which goes very well with bajra rotla and lehsun ki chutney. As a variation, you can use urad dal instead of yellow moong dal.
- Wash the dals, add 1½ cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds, cloves, bayleaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
- When the seeds crackle, add the ginger-green chilli paste and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the cooked dal, turmeric powder, lemon juice, salt and 1¼ cups of water and mix well.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring once in between.
- Garnish with coriander and serve hot with bhakhri and garlic chutney.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.