5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 136 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5732 times
Tousali typically refers to pancakes made with a batter of rice, coconut and cucumber. While Tousali can be spicy or sweet, this mildly sweet version that includes jaggery is a real winner because of its rustic aroma and flavour. The appetizing aroma of jaggery intensifies when cooked with ghee, luring your family to the table even before you announce the meal! A little salt added to the batter helps highlight the sweetness of jaggery, while coconut and cucumber provide a juicy crunch to it. Although it is quicker to cook the Tousali on both sides as shown in this recipe, the traditional method involves cooking it only on one side, keeping the tava covered. This makes one side crispy, while the other remains fluffy and soft.
- Soak the rice in enough lukewarm water in a deep bowl for 2 hours.
- Drain, wash and grind to a smooth paste along with the coconut, jaggery and ¼ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the cucumber and salt and mix well.
- Cover the batter with the lid and keep aside for 4 hours.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly with ghee.
- Pour a ladle full of the batter on a hot tava and spread it to get a 100 mm. (4”) diameter thick circle and cook on a medium flame using a little ghee, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 9 more tousalis.
- Serve immediately.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.