Tomato Chutney ( Idli and Dosas)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 794 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 225119 times
A tangy accompaniment, tomato chutney goes well with idli, dosa, appe, and even chapathi or puri. A balanced dose of onion, curry leaves and red chillies gives it a spicy feel that complements bland dishes quite well.
- Wash the dal and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the washed dal and stir till it becomes golden brown in colour.
- Add the onion, curry leaves, red chillies, turmeric powder and asafoetida and fry for a few minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and fry for about 5 minutes to soften them.
- Remove from the fire and cool to room temperature.
- Put the tomato mixture in a blender, add salt and a little water and grind to a coarse paste.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the oil in a small bowl and adding the mustard seeds and red chillies and frying till the seeds crackle.
- Pour the tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Refrigerate and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.