by Tarla Dalal
Added to 81 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 6584 times
A typical Chinese sweet of batter fried apples coated in crunchy caramel make a perfect ending to any meal.
- Mix the plain flour, cornflour and baking powder in a bowl. Add water and stir into a smooth, thick batter.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into bite-size pieces.
- Coat the apple pieces evenly with the batter and deep fry in hot oil until they are golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Put the sugar, oil and ½ cup of water in a pan and cook over a high flame.
- When the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the flame and allow it to caramalize without stirring. If required, shake the pan gently to prevent the sugar from burning around the edges of the pan.
- When the syrup is light brown in colour, remove from the flame, add the sesame seeds and mix well. Keep warm.
- Fill a serving bowl with ice-cubes and chilled water. Keep aside.
- Dip the fried apple pieces in the caramel syrup and coat evenly.
- Remove and immerse them in the bowl of ice-cubes and water. Keep for a few seconds till the caramel coating hardens. Drain thoroughly and serve immediately.
- Sugar caramelizes very quickly. Remove it from the flame as soon as it starts to change colour.
- It will continue to brown even after it is removed off the flame.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.