Added to 119 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15882 times
Unleavened rotis of wheat and maize flour, Tikkar is a mouth-watering delicacy from the dessert province of Rajasthan. Cooked with ghee, this crisp bread is wonderfully flavoured with ginger, garlic, onions, and more, which makes it enough to serve it with a simple accompaniment of curds and pickle. Just make sure you serve it immediately before it hardens.
- Combine the maize flour, wheat flour and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the ghee and rub with your fingertips till the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Knead into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and knead well.
- Divide the dough in 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 200 mm. (8”) diameter circle with the help of a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the tikkar , using a little ghee, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 5 more tikkars.
- Serve immediately with curds and pickle of your choice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.