This recipe has been viewed 3086 times
This an authentic tanjore recipe. other vegetable that can be used in the recipe include: yellow pumpkin, brinjal, broad bean, white pumpkin, banana, potatoes, colocasia, sweet potatoes. a dish can be made with a mix of all the above veggies. if all the vegetables are added, add one cup grated and roasted and ground coconut. this is the kottu that we traditionally make with kali.
ridge gourd- 1 large peeled and cut into squares
tamarind- one small lemon size
salt to taste
1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
green chilly- 2 slit
coconut oil- 1tsp
curry leaves- 1 sprig
coriander seeds- 2 tbsp
toor dal- 1 1/2 tbsp
red chillies-2 no
jeera- 1/2 tsp
- In a small pan dry roast coriander seeds, toor dal and red chillies and grind this to a fine owder with the jeera.
- In the same pan now add the coconut oil, when the oil is hot add mustard seeds, greeen chillies and curry leaves and fry. put off flame.
- Cook vegetable with salt and little water in a pan.
- Extract tamarind and add the pulp to the vegetable.
- Bring this to a boil and simmer for a few minutues.
- Turn off the stove and add the ground powder adn seasoning and mix well. serve hot with rice.
This recipe was contributed by maithreyisatish on 26 Jul 2007
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.