Thakkali (tomato) Sambar
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18526 times
Thakkali (tomato) sambar is an unique variation to the lentil based traditional sambhar recipe. This thakkali or tomato sambhar has the tomato puree seasoned with mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves and is best paired with steamed rice.
- Steam the tomatoes peel off the skin mash well & keep
- Pressure cook the thuvar dal with 2 cups of water, turmeric powder & asafetida pwd. tii soft (say for about 15 mins – on low flame after the first whistle.
- Once the dhal is cooked remove from heat & leave to depressurize – open & mash well –keep aside
- Take a vessel heat the oil kept for seasoning – when hot add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, dry chillies,curry leaves
- when mustard seeds crackle add the mashed dhal, sambar powder & 2-3 cups of water mix well
- Let it bubble nicely till sambar thickness is achieved
- Remove from heat add lime juice & garnish with chopped corrian
This recipe was contributed by Pearlie on 28 Feb 2004
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.