Tameta Muthia Nu Shaak
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 33 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16193 times
A traditional treat from the kitchens of Gujarat, the Tameta Muthia Nu Shaak will amaze you with its fenugreek flavoured muthias in a tangy tomato base. While the original recipe calls for oodles of oil, we have managed to recreate the same magic without any oil! The muthias are steamed, yet have a brilliant flavour thanks to a perfect choice of ingredients. The spice powders and flavour enhancers in the gravy are bound together by loads of tomatoes, so here again there is no need for oil. Now, you can top up on vitamins and relish the delectable flavour of this traditional dish without worrying about oil.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and knead into a soft dough adding 1 tbsp of water.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into a cylindrical roll of approximately 150 mm. (6") in length and 25 mm. (1") in diameter.
- Arrange the rolls on a sieve and steam in a steamer on a high flame for 10 minutes. Remove and keep aside to cool slightly for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 12 mm. (½”) slices and keep aside.
- Heat a non-stick kadhai on a medium flame and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds and dry roast on a medium flame for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Add the ginger, curry leaves, asafoetida and 1 tbsp of water and sauté on a medium flame for 10 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add 1½ cups of water and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Finally add the methi-doodhi muthia, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander and mix gently.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy||Protein||Carbohydrate||Invisible Fat||Fibre||Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
| 74 kcal|| 3.1 gm|| 13.9 gm|| 0.6 gm|| 3.0 gm|| 576.6 mcg|| 27.3 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.