Tamatar ki Kadhi ( Indian Cooking)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 876 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30601 times
Who does not like tangy, lip-smacking kadhi? Here is a tangier, more tantalizing version made of tomato purée (instead of dahi), thickened with besan, and spiced up with an assortment of pungent ingredients.
The order of adding ingredients, and the duration of cooking, need to be maintained in order to achieve the perfect consistency. Serve hot with rice for a homely meal that never fails to delight.
- Combine the tomatoes and ½ cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow it to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the green chillies, curry leaves, cloves and besan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, asafoetida, prepared tomato purée and ½ cup of water, mix well and bring to boil, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the jaggery and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with a sprig of coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.