Tamatar Ka Shorba ( Soups and Salads Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 16 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 34332 times
A popular indian soup that simply cannot be missed when talking of an authentic north indian menu! this soup revels in the tangy flavours of its main ingredient, the ubiquitous tomato! a mixture of besan, salt and water is cooked along with the tomato puree for a creamy thickness. A tempering of curry leaves, mustard and cumin seeds in ghee sets this apart from the regular tomato soup and gives it its characteristic flavour. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with assorted papads.
- Combine the besan with 1 cup of water, mix well and keep aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the tomatoes and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not strain.
- Cool slightly, add the curry leaves and chilli powder and blend in a mixer to a smooth purée.
- Transfer the purée to a deep non-stick pan and bring to boil.
- Add the besan mixture, salt, sugar and lemon juice, mix well and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the tempering to the tomato shorba and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.