by Tarla Dalal
Added to 101 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 63670 times
Called Puliyodare in Tamil, this is an Iyengar cuisine classic. A heart-warming dish that uses tamarind to create a magical flavor. The South Indian style tadka adds both flavor as well as appeal, making this a great lunch/dinner recipe. Enjaaai!
- Combine the tamarind with ½ cup of water and cook over medium flame for a minute. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Pass through a strainer to get a thick pulp.
- Add the turmeric powder and chilli powder and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the urad dal and roast till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the green chilli, dry red chilli, ginger, asafoetida and curry leaves and cook for a few more seconds.
- Add the tamarind paste, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the steamed rice and salt, mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with the ghee and coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||94 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.