Tamarind Rice ( South Indian )
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 5560 times
A traditional and tangy rice recipe tamarind rice is a South Indian favorite and is prepared by cooking the rice in tamarind water along with onion and whole spices. The tempering of mustard seeds and curry leaves add to the flavour of this delicious chawal recipe, tamarind rice.
- Heat the 1/2 cup veg. Oil
- When hot add the channa dhal, dry chillies, curry leaves, green chillies, asafetida pwd or a small pc. Of solid asafetida,
- Fry until the dhal is golden brown,
- Add the salt, turmeric pwd, grated ginger, broken cashewnuts and fry for a few mins on low flame (don''t let the turmeric and chillie pwd burn);
- Boil for 15/20 mins till the quantity reduces to 1/2 and thick.
- Put the cooked rice in a dish,
- Add required quantity of the tamarind mixture( pulliyodaorai mix) to the rice and stir well.
- Keep covered until ready to serve.
This recipe was contributed by pearlie on 18 Feb 2015
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.