Sundal ( Pressure Cooker )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 21 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12317 times
Sundal, from beaches and parks to temples, sundal ( a mélange of kala chana, cocnut and spices) is ubiquitous in south india, especially tamilnadu! pressure cooking makes this recipe more easy and quick.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame till the dal turns light brown in colour.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, kala chana, ¾ cup of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook on a high flame for 3 whistles.
- Lower the flame and pressure cook for another 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape using natural release method, (refer handy tip) before opening the lid.
- Cook on a high flame for another 2 minutes or till all the water evaporates.
- Remove from the flame, add the coconut and mix well. Serve immediately.
- Natural release method: to use this method, remove the pressure cooker from the hot burner and let the pressure drop by cooling down naturally. It works best for grains and for beans that you might use for salads, as quick-releasing the pressure can cause the beans to split apart.
- This dish can be made with almost all legumes, but tastes especially good with white or brown chick peas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.