Stuffed Parathas ( Diabetic Recipe )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 37 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24515 times
Rotis and parathas are an inseparable part of the quintessential indian meal! here is one with a difference – whole wheat parathas that are stuffed with a mixture of tofu and green peas. Healthy to the core, this indian bread is absolutely delicious and filling. Parathas are usually made with maida, but this healthier version is made with fibrous, nutrient-rich whole wheat flour. I have used yeast to soften the parathas and to bring about the same texture as in the maida version. Yeast needs to be handled smartly, else it will back-fire. So, follow the method correctly and use just warm water; if too hot, the yeast will not leaven. Yeast requires sugar to grow, so i have added a little bit. You can have these parathas plain or with a stuffing of your choice…feel free to experiment.
- Combine the yeast, sugar and 2 tbsp of lukewarm water together in a bowl and mix well till the yeast dissolves. Keep aside for 10 minutes or until the yeast begins to ferment.
- Add the wheat flour and salt, mix well and knead into a soft dough using water as required.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and keep aside till it doubles in volume (approx. 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air and divide it into 5 equal portions. Keep aside.
- Divide the stuffing into 5 equal portions and roll out one portion of dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little flour for rolling.
- Place one portion of the stuffing in the centre and fold the edges of the dough over the stuffing to make a square.
- Press it lightly to seal the stuffing, flatten the dough and roll out again into a square of 125 mm. (5") using a little flour for rolling.
- Cook on a non-stick pan, using ½ tsp of oil, till both sides are golden brown in colour.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and stuffing to make 4 more parathas.
- Serve hot.
- You can use ½ tsp of dried yeast dissolved in lukewarm water if fresh yeast is not available.
- If the dough is fermenting quickly, refrigerate it till you use.
| 50 calories|| 2.8 gm|| 2.5 gm|| 3.2 gm|| 51.8 mg|| 1.9 mg|| 0.7 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.