Stuffed Dahi Vada
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 285 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42547 times
Making Stuffed Dahi Vadas is an absolutely satisfying way to spend a Sunday afternoon! Traditional urad vada batter is innovatively stuffed with cashews and raisins before deep-frying. When soaked in water, topped with curds, and garnished with spice powders, the stuffed vadas end up as a toothsome treat that blends varied flavours and textures in every mouthful.Topping the vadas with khajur imli ki chutney and green chutney will further give an additional flavour boost.
- Divide the cashew-raisin stuffing into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 2 hours.
- Drain well and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste using ¼ cup of water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the asafoetida, ginger-green chilli paste, salt, and 1½ tbsp of water and mix well.
- Wet a deep ladle with little water, pour 1 tbsp of the batter in it and sprinkle a portion of the stuffing in the centre
- Finally pour 1 more tbsp of the batter over it, drop it in hot oil and deep-fry on a medium flame till itturns golden brown in colour from all the sides. 2 to 3 such stuffed vadas can be deep-fried at a time in a batch.
- Soak the deep-fried vadas immediately in a bowlful of water for 20 minutes. Squeeze out and drain all the excess water by pressing the vadas gently between your palms. Keep aside.
- Repeat steps 5 and 7 to make more stuffed vadas. Keep aside.
- Just before serving arrange 2 stuffed vadas in a serving dish and spread 1 portion of the curds mixture evenly over it.
- Finally sprinkle a little chilli powder and cumin seeds powder evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 2 to make 3 more servings.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.