Spring Rolls ( Chinese Cooking )
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1420 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 584474 times
Spring rolls, a classic chinese dish that is enjoyed by everyone, children in particular. They are traditionally served on the first day of the chinese new year. This recipe tells you how to prepare the covering as well, so you don’t need spring roll sheets available in the market. You can experiment with the stuffing, though we’ve used an assortment of vegetables and sprouts. These rolls, deep-fried are cut up and served fresh garnished with grated vegetables. Its crunchy, delicious taste is what makes it a huge hit at parties. It tastes great served with schezuan sauce.
- Combine the plain flour, cornflour, milk, salt and ½ cup of water in a bowl and mix well till no lumps no remain.
- Grease a non-stick pan with butter, pour 2 tbsp of the batter into the pan and tilt it around quickly to make a 100 mm. (4”) diameter thin circle.
- When the sides begin to peel off, turn the pancake and cook on the other side for 30 seconds.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make 11 more pancakes.
- Heat the oil in a wok /kadhai on a high flame till it smokes.
- Add the spring onion whites, mixed vegetables, bean sprouts and msg and sauté on a high flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the noodles, spring onion greens, soya sauce and salt and sauté on a high flame for another 2 minutes.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Place a panacke on a flat, dry surface and place a portion of the stuffing on one of its edge
- Apply a little flour paste along the edges of the pancake.
- Fold the top edge over the mixture to seal it firmly.
- Fold the left and the right side of the pancake in order to get a rectangle.
- Roll the pancake downwards tightly sealing the ends securely with the flour paste.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 11 more rolls.
- Heat the oil in a wok / kadhai and deep-fry in batches till they turn light brown in colour.
- Cut each roll into 2 equal portions and serve hot with schezuan sauce.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.