Spinach Gnocchi with Marinara Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 45 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 12637 times
Celebrate, Italian-style! Gnocchi are Italian dumplings, which are made of spinach, potato and flour. They can either be poached or steamed. These dumplings are made on special occasions or festivals in Italy. Marinara is a chunky tomato sauce cooked with oregano. Put both together, and it is indeed a festive meal!
- Combine the potatoes, spinach, plain flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl to make soft dough.
- Divide the dough into approximately 35 to 40 equal sized balls.
- Flatten, each ball gently using a fork.
- Boil plenty of water in a pan and add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of oil to the water.
- When the water boils, add a few pieces of the gnocchi at a time and allow them to half cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Carefully remove the gnocchi from the boiling water, using a perforated spoon. Keep aside.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining gnocchi.
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato chunks and cook for 2 to 3 minutes till they are soft. If necessary add 2 tbsp of water.
- Add the cream, oregano, salt and pepper and sauté for another 1 minute. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Layer the gnocchi in a greased rectangular baking dish and pour the marinara sauce on top.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake in a pre-heated oven at 150°C (300°F) for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.