Spicy Urad Dal Puris
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 24 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15023 times
Serve these delicious urad dal puris with sweet pickle and hot tea on a sunny Sunday morning, for a complete Rajasthani ambience.
- Mix all the ingredients and add enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Knead well and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- For the masala powder (for the stuffing)
- Dry roast the ingredients on a hot tava (griddle) for 1 minute. Cool and grind into a powder. Keep aside.
- Soak the urad dal in water for 4 hours.
- Drain and coarsely grind in a grinder using very little water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the dal paste until light golden in colour. Cool.
- Add the masala powder and salt and mix well.
- Knead the dough again and divide into 10 equal portions.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a thin round of about 50 mm. (2") diameter with the help of a little oil.
- Put a little stuffing mixture in each round. Close the edges to cover the stuffing completely and roll out again into small puris.
- Deep-fry the puris in hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with a sweet pickle of your choice.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.