Spicy Mixed Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1638 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 281027 times
With five protein-rich dals, this spicy mixed dal version combines curds and traditional spices to give a tangy, spicy, delectable accompaniment for parathas and rotis. This dal can be prepared easily and quickly, but remember to soak them together for an hour to ensure uniform cooking.
- Wash all the dals. Soak for 1 hour and then drain.
- Combine the dals, 2 cups of water, salt and turmeric powder, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the garam masala, chilli powder and coriander-cumin seeds powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 more minutes.
- Add the curds and coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dals, mix well and cook on a slow flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with rotis or parathas.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||198.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||8.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||21.7 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.