Soya Kofta Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 128 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71790 times
Protein-rich soya granules make a very versatile ingredient, which is liked by young and old alike. It fits well into a lot of dishes, from upmas to subzis. Here is a strikingly flavourful preparation of soya granules and mashed potatoes made into mint-flavoured koftas, which are dunked in a tomato-based gravy that is uniquely flavoured with fennel seeds powder, made creamier by adding milk, and enhanced with mint leaves.
- Soak the soya granules in enough hot water, cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze out all the water from the granules. Keep aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough without using any water.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the koftas a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato pulp, fennel powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes or till the oil separates from the gravy, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the mint and milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the mixture comes to a boil, while stirring occasionally.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Pour the prepared paste back into the pan, add the garam masala, salt and ½ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, re-heat the gravy, add the koftas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with mint leaves.
- Handy tip:
- If the kofta mixture seems soft, add more besan to adjust the consistency.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.